red ink is currently open for submissions.
Before you submit to Red Ink: An International Journal of Indigenous Literature, Art, & Humanities, please read our mission statement.
We are currently open to submissions of poetry, non-fiction, short fiction, plays, literary essays, book reviews, and artwork. RED INK is published twice a year: Spring and Fall. Each issue will feature approximately 150-200 pages of work.
What to submit:
General guidelines (see also genre-specific guidelines below):
- Each submission should be sent as one Word file.
- Cover letters and brief bios are required (including your Indigenous affiliation or cultural heritage).
- All submissions should be in MLA format, 12 pt Times New Roman, typed, paginated, and should include your name, address, phone number, and email address in the header of the first page.
- We do not accept previously published materials. That includes online publications or blogs. At times we may solicit excerpts of larger works.
- For international & translated submissions: Please include writing in both the original source language as well an English translation.
- We do not accept submissions via email or regular mail. All work must be submitted using our submittable.com portal. Creating an account is free, and you can easily keep track of your submissions from within your account. Red Ink will respond to each submitted manuscript within four to five months. If you need to withdraw your piece, please withdraw through the submission manager. If you are withdrawing only part of your submission, please make a note in Submittable (rather than emailing the editors). If Red Ink publishes your writing, the editors reserve the right to republish it in future print anthologies or online versions. Authors retain rights to their work—if the work is republished in a future collection or anthology, please indicate that it originally appeared in Red Ink.
- Other queries or correspondence should be directed to the editors at RedInkInternational7@gmail.com.
Thank you for your interest in and support of Red Ink.We are a small staff and we take our time with the work. We generally respond in 4-5 months. Please wait to query about your work until after this time frame.
- Poetry: Please submit 1-5 poems in one document.
- Prose: Submit no more than 7000 words. Prose writers should submit only one story or essay or play (or up to three short-short stories or micro-essays under 1000 words). Do not submit more than piece at a time if longer. Please wait until you have heard back about the first piece before submitting another.
- Critical work: No more than 5000 words, including bibliography and notes. We require MLA style.Those submitting critical work should send one literary essay and should wait until they have heard back before submitting another.
- If you wish to suggest a book review, please send a query letter first.
- Artwork: 1-3 pieces of work (If this is work which cannot be submitted through submittable, please query the editors at RedInkInternational7@gmail.com). Right now, we can only publish black and white artwork within the journal. A cover would certainly be either color or otherwise.
- We are working to create an online space to publish artwork which cannot be contained within a printed journal such as spoken word, photo essays, videos, and so on. Please do submit videos, spoken word, oral narratives, or any other work outside the printed world as we are excited for this type of work!
To submit work via Submittable: Red Ink Submission Manager.